Enchiladas are a Mexican food dish that is traditionally made with corn tortillas, cheese and meat. They are served as an appetizer or main dishes. The best Green Enchilada Sauce Recipe is the key ingredient to making these delicious dishes. There are many types of enchilada sauces out there, but we have found the best one for you.
We will provide both ingredients and instructions on how to make this delicious sauce so you can enjoy it at home.
Table of Contents
Reason to Love enchilada sauce recipe
- This sauce is a culinary masterpiece. It’s full of authentic Mexican flavor and comes from the perfect combination of dried spices that are sautéed in oil to bring out their best qualities, with umami-rich tomato paste added for an extra punch.
- The perfect wintertime dish: Cornbread with a hint of cinnamon. A pinch will add some lovely warmth and complexity to your cornbread recipe so think about adding it in if you want something different from the usual fare.
- The final touch is a splash of vinegar, which really amps up the flavor. The tangy acidity and sweetness create an invigorating balance on your tongue that’s perfect for any style dish you might be making.
- It’s hard to find a canned enchilada sauce without unnecessary processed ingredients and MSG, but this homemade recipe is free of that headache-inducing ingredient.
Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce
This green enchilada sauce recipe is a quick, easy way to make the classic Mexican dish. And with only 20 minutes of cooking time over high heat, it’s an even quicker option for last-minute dinner emergencies.
I’m so excited to finally share this recipe that I’ve been holding back for a while. You’ll be able to make authentic enchilada sauce and salsa Verde in no time, but it’s about time you learned how to make the perfect green enchilada sauce.
This quick-to-make dish is easy enough for beginners yet still enjoyable if you’re an experienced cook, plus there are plenty of ways that allow you to enjoy your meal as spicy or mild as possible.
After years of requests from those who have fallen in love with her favourite red enchilada sauce recipe, she finally gets around to sharing a recipe for its mean green partner.
It takes 20 minutes or less so there’s no need to spend hours in front of a stove just trying to get dinner ready. Just mix everything up together with any spices you like (we recommend using garlic powder) and voila: The perfect dish is done faster than ever before.
How To Make Green Enchilada Sauce
For some tasty new ways to use your green enchilada sauce, try out these great recipes:
Green Enchilada Sauce Recipe
- 5 Green Chile
- 1 small Onion
- ⅓ cup Cilantro
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- 1 tsp coarse kosher Salt
- ⅓ tsp dried Oregano
- 1 tbsp olive Oil
- 1 cup vegetable Stock
- 4 tbsp lime Juice
- To roast the peppers at first line your baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a bunch of Green Chile peppers on the side. Place jalapeno (if using) in between them for an extra spicy kick.
- Broil your peppers by setting the oven rack underneath the broiler for 10 minutes, turning it on and flipping halfway through to blacken and blister their skin.
- Place the baking sheet on a wire rack and carefully remove the foil to keep it from sticking. You’ll see steam coming out as they cool down for 5 minutes, so don’t peak too soon.
- To peel the peppers, first scrape off any loose skin that is easily removable. This will make them easier to cut and prepare.
- Slice the peppers into halves with a knife. Remove seeds and veins, if you want your sauce to be extra spicy.
- Blend together the roasted peppers, onion, cilantro, garlic and spices in a large blender to create a flavorful sauce that can be used as an accompaniment for tacos or on top of soup.
- Heat the olive oil in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add the blended green enchilada sauce and lightly fry for 1 minute, stirring frequently to prevent burning or sticking until it thickens into an aromatic salsa Verde that will serve as a base for your dish tonight.
- Mix together the remaining vegetable stock and lime juice, then remove from heat. Taste for seasoning, adding a little more salt if necessary to taste.
- This recipe will keep for up to 3 months in the freezer or a week stored in an airtight jar.If you need it quick, serve immediately but if you have time this dish is perfect for meal prep.
Green Enchilada Sauce Ingredients
To make this green enchilada sauce recipe, you’ll need a few common ingredients. Here are the basics:
Roasted Green Chile: Use canned diced green chillies But if you’re feeling ambitious, pan fry some hatch green Chile strips and use them instead.
Garlic and Onion: You will have the perfect pairing of flavours with this recipe, using these two ingredients.
Mexican Herbs + Spices: A touch of ground cumin and dried oregano take the dish to another level, adding a deep earthy flavour.
Vegetable Stock: I used vegetable Stock but you could also use chicken stock. This will thicken up the sauce to your liking as well, making it more flavorful and intense.
Cilantro + Lime Juice: Cilantro and lime juice add some brightness to complement the roasted green chillies.
Olive Oil: I shake the pan quickly and lightly to make sure all of the ingredients mixing up, evenly coated in sauce.
I pour a little bit of oil into my frying pan so that it will heat faster and more efficiently than if there were nothing on its surface at all.
Jalapeno: For a spicy kick, leave in the seeds and/or add more jalapenos.
Cumin, Salt and Pepper: For the perfect meal, start with a base of noodles and add sauce to taste. Be sure to try it at different stages so that you can get all of your favourite flavours in.
Substations And Variations
If you don’t have Anaheim peppers on hand, consider using Poblano Peppers as a substitute. This will still give your dish the desired mild flavour and texture without sacrificing much of anything else.
Whether you want it spicy or not, removing the jalapeno pepper is a start! You could also remove and discard all of its seeds and veins.
If you want your chilli to be a spicy delight, try using Serrano peppers instead of jalapenos. The sweet and tangy flavour will make the dish much more enjoyable for those who like it hot.
If you’re looking to spice up your next meal with an added kick, use serranos in place of traditional bell peppers or even hotter pepper varieties such as cayenne or habanero.
Next time try to roast them along with the green chillies to add bright acidic flavour.
- Are green and red enchilada sauce the same?
The green color appears in the green enchilada sauce that comes from the color of green chilli and coriander leaves. It is made by one or many chillies and it’s used for a Mexican dish appetizer called Enchiladas.
- Is green enchilada sauce and salsa verde the same thing?
There’s a difference between green enchilada sauce (Verde sauce) and salsa verde. We cook Enchilada sauces whereas salsa Verdes must eat them raw. To make it even more interesting, the main ingredients in these salsas are different. For instance, when making Salsa Verde you’ll need to use blended tomatillos with enchiladas. They might include sour cream or cheese as well.
- What is the best green enchilada sauce to buy?
Las Palmas Green Chile Enchilada Sauce is perfect for any dish that needs a little kick of spice, but not too much. With its delicious flavour and beautiful green color, it’s the best-canned sauce out there.
Las Palmas Green Chile Enchilada Sauce has an awesome balance between spicy heat with just enough sweet to make your taste buds dance-and we all know how hard they can be to please. The deep flavours are so subtle. You won’t even realize what hit until after you already hooked on this tasty condiment.
Besides the green enchilada sauce we reviewed, Red enchilada sauce is also the most common Enchilada sauce that is also a Mexican appetizer. Both are made from chillies and other materials. Hope this post will help you to make or cook your favourite dishes
Still don’t see your favourite enchilada sauce recipe here? leave it in the comments section below and we’ll obviously try to make changes as you say! We hope this recipe will inspire new ideas with Mexican flavours. There are as many variations on this dish as there are people who love them. No matter what kind of foodie or cook you might be, there’s always an option for you.