While you can have the best pancake recipe in the world, without the right pan, everything goes to waste. So, what are the best pans for cooking pancakes? We will be diving deep into that discussion here; if you want to find out, then stick around a little more.
Starting your morning with some pancakes is never a bad idea, right? It’s easy to make, time-saving, and tasty at the same time. However, there is a catch here. To make proper pancakes without ruining them requires a special type of pan.
Having said that, let’s get to know more about cooking pancakes and the best pans to do so. By the end of this, you will become a pancake pan guru yourself.
Why do you need a suitable pan for cooking pancakes?
It’s time to get to the real deal here; why do you even need a special pan for cooking pancakes? What does it even mean? Here, we will answer all of that to clear out your confusion.
To be honest, you can make a pancake in any pan you want, but they might not end up as edible pancakes. Or you might not be able to even cook them properly. And here’s why-
One of the most crucial parts of cooking pancakes is proper heat transfer. You will want to have a pan that can transfer heat quickly and cook the pancakes properly. This is where pancake pans excel with their thin layer. The pans you get specifically for cooking pancakes will be thinner than your regular frying pans.
Another important aspect of cooking pancakes is the flipping part. It’s only common sense at this point that you would want a non-stick pan to fulfill that flipping need. If your pancake is stuck to your pan, then you are using the wrong pan and ending up with bad pancakes.
So, these are the two reasons for getting a special pan for cooking pancakes. In summary, the characteristics of the best pans for cooking pancakes should be flat, shallow, thin, and non-sticky.
what is the best pan for cooking pancakes- buying Guide
Enough with the touch-ups, let’s take you through a whole technical detail of choosing the right pan for cooking pancakes. We will go through the various factors you should consider while choosing which one to buy.
Pan For Cooking Pancakes– Materials
You will usually come across 4 types of materials for your pancake pans. They are as follows-
- Cast Iron: Cast iron is a popular material used in many cooking pots and pans. It adds a good smoky flavor to your food and gives it a little bit of seasoning. But these pans will be a bit heavy, which can cause a problem for pancakes while flipping or serving them.
Also, they sometimes have sticking issues as well. A cast-iron pancake pan is good if you are looking for a long time and versatile use out of it.
- Aluminum: When it’s about getting lightweight metal items, aluminum is a popular choice. You can find a great level of convenience while working with aluminum as it’s easy to control. The heat also distributes evenly on an aluminum pan. Also, it’s much more affordable than any other material.
However, it’s not the most durable material you can get. After some time, you will see the aluminum failing to hold up to scratches and bumps, which are pretty common in a kitchen.
- Stainless Steel: In terms of pancake pan material, stainless steel has to be the best option. They are very durable, easy to clean, and aren’t that heavy. All in all, it’s a great option to go with.
The only downside to this will be the improper distribution of heat. Aluminum pans have better heat conduction than any stainless steel pancake pan.
- Non-sticky: As we discussed earlier, you can’t even make a proper pancake without a non-stick pan. It’s a must that you get a non stick pancake pan as they will give you the best results. In the best pan to cook pancakes, you will want a non-stick surface.
With a non-stick pan, you won’t need too much oil to cook a pancake, and they cook faster than usual. So, considering every aspect, you must look for a pan that has this feature.
Buying Specialist pancake pan
A specialist pancake pan has to have two things. The pan should be thinner than usual frying pans, and it has to be flat and shallow. These two qualities together make up a pan that is specialized for making pancakes.
With a thin pen, the heat conduction is fast and proper. That is exactly what you want while cooking pancakes. And a shallow and flat surface makes it very easy to flip the pancake and cook it properly. So, count on these two factors for a pan that you want to use for making pancakes specifically.
Pan For Cooking Pancakes- Size
Now, this factor is a flexible choice where you have to consider your needs. If you want to make larger pancakes and also use your pan for other cooking purposes, you should get a big pan. And if you are getting a pan just for making pancakes for a small number of people, then getting a small pan would be the way to go. So, it’s up to your needs and preferences for the pan size.
Pan For Cooking Pancakes- Cleaning Up process
Well, you won’t have to worry too much about the cleaning process of a pancake pan. The reason is for a pancake pan; you will be getting a non-stick pan. This means there won’t be much residue or junk on the pan in the first place. So, cleaning up becomes much easier for you.
The process is simple: use soap and running water to clean up the pans with a sponge. If you have by chance any burnt food on the pan, you can use some warm water to remove that food.
Also, cleaning materials will depend on the pan material. For example, you can’t use soap for a cast iron pancake pan. And you shouldn’t clean your non-stick pans on a dishwasher. So, you will have to keep these things in mind.
12 best pans for cooking pancakes
Finally, we are done giving all the knowledge and information about pancakes and pans for pancakes. Now, it’s time to check out the best pans for pancakes you can find out there.
We have chosen 12 pans that qualify to be proper pancake-making pans. You will surely find your one true choice of the pan in this list.
When it comes to cooking pancakes, you are in search of the best crepe pan that has a flat surface. And this pan fulfills that need with extreme precision. It has got a griddle-like cooking surface along with a little bit of raised sides.
As for the material, the exterior is hard anodized material that gives you great durability. As for the interior, you have a smooth non-stick surface exactly the way it should be for a pancake pan. The interior is reinforced with titanium which just elevates the material quality of this pan.
It doesn’t leave any room for doubts with the usability factor. You can use this in an oven for up to 500F, and it will hold up to that. Due to the non-stick surface, it becomes so much easier to clean and use.
- Extremely durable material for the exterior build.
- It has got a nice flat surface for making perfect pancakes.
- The great non-sticky interior makes it easy to use and clean
- The versatility of usage is quite commendable
- No worries about burning your hand due to the SS handle.
- The non-stick surface is prone to damage without any caution.
Want to go on a different path from the circular pans? Then try out this best square griddle pan with a square shape griddle. The design is already different from most other pans. It’s very thin and lightweight, which is a good feature to have in a pan for pancakes.
You will never question the durability of this one because of the stainless steel and aluminum build. For the interior, it has got a non-stick coating which is something you always need in a pan for making pancakes.
That’s not the only good part about this one. You get extreme usability out of it due to the riveted handles. Also, it’s oven safe for up to 350F, which is always a great addition to have. Finally, you can wash it on a dishwasher which takes away a lot of your extra work.
- It comes with a unique large square shape.
- You get a non-stick coating surface on this one.
- It’s oven safe for up to 350F.
- The handle on this one is great for grip and comfort.
- It’s durable and lightweight.
- After some heavy use, the pan can start to warp.
- The pan may have uneven heat distribution after the warp.
Want to stick to the classic frying pan style? Well, you got it with this one. It has got that traditional shape of a Calphalon frying pan set with some sturdy construction in the handles. The design is curved, so nothing falls over the sides of the pan. It’s, without a doubt, one of the best pans for pancakes.
For the material, you get hard-anodized aluminum which is a great option for a pancake pan. It makes sure the pan will last long enough to satisfy you. Aside from that, it has got a double non-stick layer which gives you better performance and durability.
As far as usability goes, you shouldn’t have any problem with this one. It comes with even heating throughout the pan, so you get consistent cooking performance from it. Other than that, it is very easy to clean up because of the double non-stick layer.
- It has a classic pan design for functionality
- The pan is sturdy and durable in construction
- With the double non-stick layer, it gives you great performance
- This one is very easy to clean
- It has got consistent heat distribution
- It’s a bit thick, which takes a long time to heat.
Making the perfect pancake will turn into reality with this Farberware griddle-style pan. It has got a flat surface with a square shape design. And the cooking area is large enough for you to work your magic on the pan.
You shouldn’t have any complaints whatsoever about the material because it’s aluminum. It gives you even heating, and the thin construction just heats things much faster. For the non-stick interior, you get great textures on the surface that are functional and useful.
The handle on this is super comfortable to hold on to and doesn’t transfer heat, so you are safe all the time. It’s very easy to clean as you can clean this in a dishwasher as well. Need a pan to use in the oven? Well, this can serve that purpose too, as long as the temperature is 350F, it’s all good.
- The pan is thin and lightweight, which makes it great for pancakes.
- You get proper and quick heat distribution from the pan.
- You can safely use this one in any oven within 350F.
- The non-sticky surface comes with texture for easy flipping.
- The handle on this one is safe and comfortable to hold.
- After some heavy cooking sessions, the pan can start flexing a bit.
Need a non-stick pan for pancakes? Well, then this is just the thing you are looking for. The design is all out for making pancakes and crepes. It has a circular shape for even heat distribution with a flat surface. And the lips are slightly raised, just what you would ask from a pancake pan.
This pan is made of high-grade aluminum and a stainless-steel bottom. So, with durability and resistance to scratch, you can’t go wrong with this one. That aluminum construction also gives it that thin and lightweight nature that works perfectly for making pancakes. Worried about warping? Well, it’s also warp-resistance so you can relax there.
Usability is where this pan excels at. It heats up quickly, so you don’t have to stand there for a long time to cook your pancakes anymore. It’s also super easy to clean, and the handle is just perfect for a comfortable grip.
- It’s a lightweight and thin pan for making perfect pancakes.
- This one comes with durable and sturdy aluminum construction.
- You can clean this one in a dishwasher for ease of cleaning
- The pan heats up very quickly and evenly.
- It has got a very comfortable grip on the handle with great insulation.
- It’s not suitable for cooking different dishes
- The pan can be small for a large quantity of food.
It doesn’t always need to look like a pan to make pancakes. This statement comes to mind when you look at this Nordic Ware 2 Burner Griddle. It is a griddle with the simplest of designs, doesn’t have any handles, and looks like a tray. And with the size of it, you can even make two pancakes at once.
For the construction, you will get a solid heavy-duty aluminum construction that gives you the certainty of durability for a longer time. As for the cooking surface, it’s obvious that you get a non-stick surface for making the best pancakes.
It’s a 2-burner pan so that you can get a lot of use out of it. It makes your cooking a lot faster with that extra space. You can clean this one up easily because of the non-stick surface.
- It has got some simplistic designs
- The non-stick surface works very well
- A larger surface area makes it easy to cook multiple items
- You get durability from the cast aluminum construction
- It’s easy to clean up.
- You may not even get heating on this.
- It is hard to manage without a handle.
Now, this one is a specific pan for a specific dish which is the Danish pancakes or Aebleskiver. So, the design is a lot different than any other pan you have encountered. It has 7 circular holes where you will put the batter of your pancake. And if you want to make some Aebleskiver, this is the thing you will need.
While it’s for a specific dish, that doesn’t mean the pancake requirements change. It still serves the quick and proper heat distribution purpose with the cast aluminum construction. And it’s durable as well.
As for usability, you can’t cook many items on this one rather than different Danish pancakes with different fills. And the non-stick surface on the pan makes it easy to clean, just like any other pan we discussed.
- This is the perfect pan for making Danish pancakes.
- It has got a non-stick surface for easy cleanup and better pancakes.
- It’s a durable pan that will go on for years.
- The heat conduction on this one is fast and even.
- The handle always stays cool, so you won’t burn your hand.
- It only works for particular types of dishes.
- It would have been great to have a lid included.
If you want to make your kids happy with pancakes, this is the easiest way to do so. It has 7 mold styles slots where you can just throw in the batter and make pancakes with some designs, features 7 different unicorn shapes that look very cute, and your kids will love them.
It has got that cast aluminum construction for proper heating throughout the pan. Also, it heats up quickly. The non-stick coating on the pan works the way it’s supposed to work. So, along with your kids, this will also satisfy your needs.
You might wonder if it will be hard to clean due to the molds. Well, no, it’s still easy because of the non-stick coating. You don’t need to put too much effort into cleaning at all.
- It has 7 different mold designs for appealing pancakes.
- You get great heat conduction throughout the pan.
- It’s super easy to clean because of the non-stick coating.
- The pan heats up quickly for some quick pancakes.
- The materials are durable enough to last for a long time.
- It prints the unicorn only on one side.
- You can’t use this for any other purpose.
Looking for a pan to make some pancakes for the whole family? Well, this will satisfy your needs. The design is based on a double burner stove, making large pancakes in double the quantity. You can even use it as a grill pan; all you have to do is use the flipside of the pan.
Cast aluminum never goes wrong with cooking supplies, right? This one gets that even and quick heating from the cast aluminum construction. And the non-stick coating is always there to make flipping your pancakes more fun and easier.
The best part of this one is that you can use it for multiple purposes. It’s not just about making pancakes on this one; you can cook whatever you want with this. And the double burner compatibility just makes things so much better for the pan.
- The compatibility with the double burner makes it versatile.
- A textured flipside makes it a grill pan as well as a griddle.
- This pan has great heat conduction ability.
- It’s easy to clean because of the non-stick coating.
- You can cook large batches of pancakes very quickly.
- The middle portion doesn’t receive heat
- It’s hard to maneuver without any handles.
We have another mini pancake pan for you to woo your kids into pancakes. It comes with some cute animal patterns on 7 different molds. The design is where all the attraction comes on this pan, and you will love it when you see it.
Even though the pan is design-based, it doesn’t lack sturdiness and durability. You get a cast-aluminum construction that works very well in distributing heat. And the double layer non-stick surface eases up the pancake-making process by a lot.
As for usability, you can easily clean this up because of the non-stick surface of the pan. The removable structure of the pan makes it usable in other scenarios as well.
- It features 7 different cute animal pattern molds
- It’s sturdy and durable enough to last for a long time
- You will get good heat distribution from the cast aluminum
- The pan is easy to clean
- It serves multiple purposes with the removable structure
- The handle is not good enough
- It may be hard to flip the pancakes at the beginning.
Want to enjoy some small pancakes on a mold? Then go for this pancake maker. It has got the perfect round molds all ready for you. You get 7 molds for 7 pancakes with a perfectly round shape. It’s great for some light snacks in the evening or maybe a good morning breakfast. The color of this is very exceptional and looks good.
The material is cast aluminum which gives it that sturdiness you would love to have in a pan. And the proper heat distribution is just a bonus you get. As for non-stickiness, you won’t have any complaints with that aspect.
Using this is the most comforting thing you will do in your kitchen. The handle doesn’t get hot so you can hold it anytime you want. And the cleaning process is so simple that you won’t feel any hassle at all.
- The sturdiness and durability will surely convince you.
- It has got great heat distribution.
- The pan is easy to clean
- You will have no trouble touching the handle at any time
- 7 molds for making quick mini pancakes.
- You have to cook in all the 7 molds to avoid dry burns
- The bottom part scorches quickly.
12. Nordic Ware Scandinavian Silver Dollar Pancake Pan
Having some small pancakes in the evening can never be the wrong snack. And to enjoy that, you can get this 7-mold pan that is just perfect for making tiny pancakes. It has got a design that isn’t like most other pancake pans you see in the market.
Ever had a pan that warped after some use? Well, then get rid of that thought with this one. It will never warp because of the specialized cast-aluminum construction it has. The material also gives this the perfect heat distribution.
Non-stickiness you get in this pan will never disappoint you. Whether it’s flipping or cleaning, everything is just too easy on this one.
- You can make 3-inch pancakes in the 7 molds.
- It’s a warp-resistant pan, and it’s also pretty sturdy.
- The heat distribution in this is commendable.
- It’s easy to clean and use due to the non-stick surface
- The handle is quite good on this one.
- The coating may come off pretty early at times
- It’s not great for versatility
Ingredients into a pancake
Ingredients that go into a pancake are what make them so accessible and easy. You don’t need any fancy ingredients to make a standard pancake. Even the cooking process is super easy to follow.
Typically, you just add flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, egg, milk, and butter to a bowl. Mix them properly until they have a smooth texture. Then, heat some oil in a pan and pour the mixer with a spoon or scoop when the oil gets medium to high heat.
After cooking one side for a while, flip it over and cook the other side. Once both the sides are brown, you have got yourself some tasty pancakes. Isn’t it so simple? Want some extra taste? Well, you can pour some honey on top of your pancake to elevate the taste even further.
If you choose to go with different types of pancakes, you will have different ingredients and recipes. The basic process is pretty much the same; you may only need to add or replace some ingredients.
So, a question that always comes up is, how healthy are pancakes? What are its nutritional values?
On a single serving of a pancake with syrup and butter added, you get 260 calories. Here, fat is 7g, carbohydrates are 45.45g, and protein is 4.15g.
Because of the high carb property, pancakes have become a popular breakfast meal to give you energy throughout the day from those carbs. So, having two pancakes in the morning can get you going well for a long time.
How to test a Pan For Cooking Pancakes
If you are at a physical shop and buying a pan for making pancakes, you can check out these features to make sure it’s one of the best pans for cooking pancakes.
Handle comfort: By handle comfort, we mean protection against heat. While cooking a big batch of pancakes, you will have to touch the handle quite a lot. So, your panhandle must be comfortable to hold. Also, make sure it’s not too hot. For that, you can always get a pan with handles that have a rubber or plastic layer on them.
Heat distribution: You would want a pan that can heat up quickly and distribute heat evenly for the perfect pancakes. To get that, you can simply look for a pan that is thinner than a usual frying pan and has a flat surface for proper heat distribution.
Non-stick surface: To test the non-stickiness of a pan, you can run your hands over a few times on the cooking surface. You should also check if the pan is PFOA coating-free or not. Also, avoid any pan that gives off chemical smells of any kind. All of these add up to the perfect nonstick pan for pancakes.
Flipping: You can’t test the flip without cooking on the pan. However, you can tell if the pan will flip the pancake properly or not by its shape. A flip-friendly pan will have a shape that is a bit shallow and has a certain angle to it. Also, a flat surface with non-stickiness is the ideal criteria for flipping pancakes.
Curved sides: Although this aspect contributes to the flipping part of a pancake pan, we still gave it a separate spot. Because it’s not necessary to have this feature, but if you get options, you should consider the curved side factor. With a curved side, you get a better flipping ability. This also makes the pan more versatile.
Versatile: Speaking of versatility, yes, you would want a pan that’s great for cooking pancakes. But if you can cook something other than pancakes on the pan, that wouldn’t harm you, right? If you have options for versatility, then you should go for it with no second thoughts.
Pancakes and cooking
Even though pancakes are popularly known for being an easy and tasty dessert, you can eat them whenever you want. They are very easy to make and don’t require too much time, which makes them a great evening snack as well.
There are so many types of pancakes you can find going around the globe. Many countries have their specialty in pancakes. Some of the popular pancake types are-
- English standard pancake
- French crepes
- American style pancakes
- Scotch pancakes
- Australian Pikelet
- Korean Jeon
These don’t even begin to describe how many types of pancakes there are in the world. You can go through many of them and try them out. The best thing about all of them is they have a pretty similar cooking style with one or two exceptions.
To make the standard pancakes, you don’t need many things. For the tools, you will just need a large bowl, a pan, and a spoon or scoop. That’s it.
Electric pancake maker
Well, if you don’t want to go through much hassle of pancake pan induction, stove or gas, then you can opt for an electric one. They aren’t the best option, but they are much more convenient. Also, they are much more expensive than regular pancake pans, so you have to consider that factor as well.
While all that is true, it’s also true that an electric pancake maker will make your life much easier. Especially if it’s from a quality brand, you will love the experience.
All in all, you can see none of the pans we put together in this list lack quality and are quite similar in that aspect. The difference is with their functionality.
Some are great for cooking a lot of pancakes, like the double burner compatible ones. Then some options are great for making pancakes for kids. Some pans are suitable for making small or mini pancakes. While some of them are great for making regular pancakes.
We kept it like that, so you get to make a choice based on what you need. Overall, you now know a lot about the best pans for cooking pancakes so you can make your decision yourself. Hope to see you in some other query that we can help you out with.